Aquatic Safety for Children and Adults
Unfortunately, summer fun sometimes comes at a price. Each year, we read tragic stories about children and adults who become victims of drowning, whether in a lake or a back yard pool. Here are the startling statistics:
- Drowning is the 2nd leading cause of accidental death in the U.S. among children ages 14 and under, and the leading cause of accidental death of children age 5 and under. American Institute for Preventive Medicine
- A child can drown in the time it takes to answer the phone. US Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Of all preschoolers who drown, 70% are in the care of one or both parents at the time of the drowning and 75 % are missing from sight for five minutes or less. National Center for Injury Prevention & Control
- For every child who drowns, four are hospitalized and 16 receive emergency department care for the near drowning. American Academy of Pediatrics
- Of preschooler pool drownings, 65% occur in the child’s home pool and 33% at the homes of friends, neighbors or relatives. US Consumer Product Safety Commission
At Sea Star Swim School, our mission is to prevent these senseless tragedies through education. We feel that EVERYONE should learn to swim. Sea Star’s program encompasses all ages and levels of aquatic education–from 6 months of age and up. We have something for both the beginner and the advanced competitive swimmer and anyone who falls anywhere in between.
Our core competencies are:
Swimming for Survival
Swimming for Competency
Swimming for Recreation
Swimming for Competition
Above all, Sea Star is committed to WATER SAFETY!
We hope you will take a moment to review this essential information. Then call us at (615) 822-8800 for excellence in aquatic education!